Monday, September 24, 2007

Aisha Phoenix: The Purple Princess at Parly

During "Ester's Walks of Life", 9 September 2007, a film of Ester singing Ebony and Ivory was shown. Then Aisha introduced and read her poem Irresistible Smile, which refers to Ester singing Ebony and Ivory (see Aisha's post below, dated 20 April 2007).

The Purple Princess at Parly

I started at Parliament Hill Girls in Year 8 just before Ester joined. We were both placed in Ms Youlton's form group. Ester with her strong convictions, great sense of humour and passion for acting and singing, fitted in easily and was welcomed into the creative "in" crowd. Her talents meant the Purple Princess often performed at school events ranging from plays, musicals and choir evenings to orchestra concerts. I remember acting in the Jean Anouilh version of the play Antigone in summer 1995 alongside Ester *. I can hear her laughter during orchestra practice, oboe on her lap, as I sat with my squeaky violin and I also hear her voice standing out in choir practice. But most of all I see the twinkle in her eyes and her smile all around.

* Aisha has found a ticket, saying it was at 7 pm on Thursday 29 June 1995 in the New Hall. £1 adults, £0.50 children.