Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ryan Dolan: Happy Birthday, Barbie Girl

Ester told me once that she had always wanted a Barbie doll for her birthday. I did not understand as she did not seem like a Barbie girl. But, Angela being an enlightened and progressive mother did not think that these were suitable toys for daughter. You have to remember, that at the time they were not making Advocate Barbie - with Home Office battling functions and advanced recycling abilities. Of course that made Barbie more precious. It’s like that with kids, isn’t it? The more you tell them they can’t have something, the more precious it becomes. I have the same thing with my son and power rangers.

Friday night dinner came and we carried the conversation on with Angela and Alice-ter. I think Angela had forgotten this, she was adamant that this was not right. We gave her a ribbing about it over dinner, and if you will pardon the pun, we made quite a meal of the joke (Ha ha).

Anyway Ester’s birthday rolls around, and you know she did not like to do anything on her birthday. I guess she would never have told me when it was, if she thought she could get away with it. So I bought her lots of little presents. That way it looks like I have not gone over board and bought her anything too big. One of them was a Barbie doll. I know that we had given Angela a hard time over it recently, so I am thinking that maybe I should not give it to Ester while Angela is around. I was worried she would not see the funny side.

This time last year, we were sitting at dinner again and without any one having discussed it Angela produces her present for Ester, a Barbie doll. I produce my present for Ester, a Barbie doll. And Alice-ter? No, he did not get Barbie. Bless our Alice-ter got Esterbeth the Ken doll.

They were very happy days and they seem so long ago now.
Happy Birthday, Barbie Girl.

Ry**