Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Debi Penhey: the princess and the shirt

For 24 years I have shared my birthday with Ester. What should I do this year on Thursday? We still share a birthday, but I can’t send her happy birthday wishes, nor can she send them to me.

I first met Ester when she was Angela’s bump – a few weeks before she was born, when Angela was my teacher in the conversion class at West London Synagogue. I was delighted when she was born on my 22nd birthday. Over the years we have exchanged greetings, jokes, messages, news and love.

I shall miss all of this. I shall also miss our long-standing joke of how she coveted a favourite shirt of mine. We shared a love of purple, and every time Ester saw me wearing my beautiful long purple and blue shirt, she asked if she could have it. I have always thought of her whenever I’ve worn it, and always will.

I’ll wear the shirt on our birthday, Ester, and think of you. Have a good day wherever you are.